Step 1: Install prerequisitesYou may choose to download Xcode (FREE) from the App Store then go to menu Xcode > menu item Preferences > tab Downloads, select to install Command Line Tools OR you can go to Apple Developer to get it, you may need to login.
Step 2: Compile IMAPGet the IMAP source code from University of Washington website. Please do me a favor and check that website for the latest version, it's good practice. If you that lazy, try to click the "y" to get direct link to 2007f version.
Extract the package and open the Terminal to the new directory before executing these command:
- make osx EXTRACFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp"
- sudo mkdir /usr/local/include/
- sudo cp c-client/*.h /usr/local/include/
- sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/
- sudo cp c-client/*.c /usr/local/lib
- sudo cp c-client/c-client.a /usr/local/lib/libc-client.a
(1) may take a while because the machine need to compile quite a few files for IMAP. Warnings are okie (I got 3 warnings) but if you see some error, that's not good. Please use some Google-fu to figure it out before continuing.
(2) and (4) may tell you the directory has already exists, that's okie and expected.
Step 3: Compile IMAP module for PHP
Following the instruction from PHP: Git Access page to get the source code of PHP. Please note that you should get the same version as the installed PHP engine. By default, Mountain Lion uses PHP 5.3.13 (check this by executing "php -v" in your Terminal).
Basically, you will need to execute 2 commands:
- git clone https://github.com/php/php-src.git php-src
- cd php-src
- git checkout PHP-5.3.13
(1) may take a long time depending on your internet connection because the repo is huge.
(2) will check out the branch for a specific PHP version, because my machine uses PHP 5.3.13, I choose the branch "PHP-5.3.13", switch it to match your system.
In order to compile the IMAP module, execute these commands:
- cd ext/imap/
- ./configure --with-imap=/usr/local/imap-2007 --with-kerberos --with-imap-ssl
- sudo cp modules/imap.so /usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/
I don't know why Daniel (the author of the original instruction post) got problem compiling IMAP module for PHP (he said PCRE is missing).
Probably the PHP shipped with Mountain Lion got PCRE already so the above 5 commands is all I need. Ivan pointed out that Mountain Lion is not shipped with PCRE so you will need to install it yourself.
Now you only need to modify the php.ini file to include the new imap.so module. Use your favourite editor to open the file /etc/php.ini (sudo is required to save it FYI), and add this at the end of the file:
Step 4: Enjoy
You are now good to go. Restart Apache as necessary using this: "sudo apachectl graceful".
That's it. Good luck!